Chiara Boni has a very firm grasp on making clothes that are feminine, youthful and classic. This season saw plenty of bright pink and coral hues that, luckily, didn’t sacrifice any of the bombshell factors. Sweet but not saccharine is an apt way of putting it.
It’s easy to fall down the rabbit hole and get lost in a girly look when the clothes are so pretty. But the Aveda team expertly pulled together a balanced hair and makeup combo that provides the femininity with a bit of edge.
Jon Reyman wanted the look to evoke youthful energy with a juxtaposition of classic techniques and a messier texture. A ruffled up wet-set finger wave created a “halo of texture,” as Reyman put it. Loose pieces gently draped the face and the top, while the remainder of the hair off the scalp retained its soft, dry and loose wave texture.
- Part hair down the middle and spray with Aveda Thickening Tonic on the scalp/top half of head only. Blow dry for textures.
- Perfect that part with a fine tooth comb!
- Saturate hair with Aveda Brilliant Retexturing Gel and form finger waves, using large clips to hold them in place. Clip the hair with playing cards in order to avoid ridging the hair.
- Slip a cap on top of the finger waves and blow-dry until set.
- Use a 3/4″ curling iron to form curls all over the bottom half of hair.
- Apply Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo on the back for extra texture.
- Slip off the cap, set with a little Aveda Control Force Hairspray and rock that hair like the model you are!
Meanwhile, Janell Geason set out to knock socks off with her expert mix of corals and fuschias designed to match the wardrobe and evoke blooming spring flowers. She started off with a light tinted moisturizer, Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisture, keeping the skin fresh and clean with a glimmer of luminosity. Key phrase from Geason: “It should be fresh and not overdone.” She then used a bit of concealer where needed and set everything with a light dusting of the Translucent Loose Powder.
The brows were kept light and clean with the focus on shape enhancement using the Petal Essence Eye Color Trio in Gobi Sands.
The eyeshadow used depends on natural skin color. Mostly, it comes down to using a shade that’s slightly lighter than natural skin tone. For fair skin, the shade would be akin to Lemon Spice to give a light sheen. It’s all about making the face glow! The mascara Mosscara in Black Forest goes on the outer corners of the eye for a natural, wide-eyed look.
The cheeks get a beautiful flush treatment with two different shades: Apricot Whisper along the C-shaped outer edge of the cheekbone and Rose Blossom on the apples of the cheek.
Use the Purple Sage liner to line the lips and lightly blend for a softer effect. Then, fill the lips in with Aveda Nourish-Mint Smoothing Lip Color in Wild Fuschia. Dab some Nourish-Mint Rehydrating Lip Glaze in Sunkissed Melon on the center of the pout and head out to your Italian garden soiree!