This season, many designers used their collections to create the image of an “ideal” woman, a slightly-better-than-real-life personal vision for the consumer that conveyed ease and attainability. For Prabal Gurung, however, the perfect woman already exists, and she lives within the spirit of the feminist movement, in Gloria Steinem, and, even more specifically, in Gurung’s personal hero: his mother.
NYFW Backstage Look: Behind The Scenes
Heavy kohl-lined fiery eyes in a look created by MAC Pro Artist Diane Keaton that harnessed the independent energy that flowed throughout the collection. With a very minimal foundation base and lightly filled brows, the look was reminiscent of feminist pioneers of the ‘80s.
The texture of the model’s natural hair was kept intact for the most part, left down in loose waves that floated through the air with an elegance that contrasted perfectly with the heaviness of the eye makeup. Each girl looked like a fierce female warrior, ready to take on the world.
Nails led by Keri Blair were painted with a pink pearl polish, wearable enough to not detract from the collection itself, but by being lighter than the traditional nude polish, packed an edgier punch.
He’s never one to shy from a political discussion when it comes to his designs. The new ideal that Prabal Gurung sought to meet with this season’s presentation proved to be a girl whom we all strive to be: a free-spirited, passionate, independent activist who refuses to sacrifice her femininity or her beliefs.
Get the Look: Makeup
- Apply Studio Finish Concealer where needed to perfect any blemishes or discoloration.
- Finish with Prep + Prime Translucent Powder to set.
- Line the eyes all the way around and in the waterline with the Chromagraphic Pencil, lifting up at the outer corners to create a small, subtle cat eye.
- Curl lashes and apply the Haute & Naughty mascara to the outer edge of the upper lashes to define the eyes.
- Very lightly, fill the brows the the Prolongwear Waterproof Brow Set to create a very natural look.
- Blend “Velvet Teddy” lipstick and “Flame” Prolongwear Lipcreme into the cheeks to create a very soft, warm glow.
- Apply Prep + Prime Lip to nourish and hydrate the lips.