The Clothes & Hair
Intricate detailing that gave way to floating feathers and swirling lace dominated the runway at Tadashi Shoji’s Spring/Summer 2017 presentation. Glittering embroidered birds and floral designs spanned across the backs of sensual tulle gowns, a new direction for the famed ballroom designer whose newest collection took strong influence from boudoir stylings. Each models’ hair was pinned back carefully into a loose, wavy bun, the soft femininity playing well against the bright pops of coral pink that MAC Pro Artist Pep Gay heavily incorporated into his makeup design.
Driven by the desire to find one product that’s versatile enough to be used in every element of a look, Gay found inspiration in the new MAC SS17 Forecast Lip Palette. The lip creams were applied throughout, used as not only a lip stain, but as a blush and eyeshadow, too. The resulting look was a rosy glow with a vivid punch of glossy pink on the eye, all set atop a dewy complexion.
Nails were kept minimal, painted with an off-white shade with small lines running down the length of the finger starting under the nail. This simple look made sure not to overshadow the beauty of the gowns, with the white seen in parts of each design, while the tiny details mimicked the intricacy of each sequined design.
This season, Tadashi Shoji’s well-know graceful hand takes on new ground, welcoming in rich, beautiful dyes and the daringness of transparent, lacy textiles that we have yet to see before from the Japanese visionary.
Get the Look: Makeup
- Prep the skin with Mineralize Charged Water Face + Body Lotion. Apply with hands to achieve a natural finish.
- Conceal any blemishes or discoloration with the Studio Finish Concealer.
- Curl lashes and apply the Haute & Naughty Mascara to both the top and bottom lashes before adding color to the lids or cheeks.
- Apply “Utterly Crisp” from the MAC SS17 Forecast Lip Palette to the lid with a dense eyeshadow brush and blend through the crease to fade out the pigment.
- Using fingers, press the “Impassioned” Lip Glass into the center of the lid to create a highlight effect.
- Apply “Cast Iron” Technakohl to the outer lash line.
- Using a lip brush, press “Utterly Crisp” into the center of the lips, and fade outwards to the edges to give an undefined look.
- Powder the sides of the nose with the Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, leaving the bridge of the nose without powder for a natural shine.
- Using fingertips, add a touch of “Utterly Crisp” to the high planes of the cheeks and blend out.
- Groom and brush brows using the Prolongwear Waterproof Brow Set.