This one is important: Make it a habit to get a facial once every 3 months. The process of unclogging pores and ridding yourself of dead skin cells on the surface allows for products to ultimately penetrate the skin better and produce the results they intend to! If the prospect of a professional facial is too daunting and costly at the moment, opt for your own:
- Cleanse your face: Remove all makeup and use a gentle cleanser for your skin type.
- Exfoliate: You can use your favorite exfoliating cleanser, or make your own by mixing baking soda with a bit of water into a paste. Then gently rub in circular motion. Be careful not of over-scrub at risk of irritating skin.
- Open up pores: Boil a pot of water. Turn off heat, grab a large towel, drape it over your head and stand over pot with your face at least a foot away. The steam should feel gentle on your face, not burning! If you feel uncomfortable at any point, move away and take a break.
- Deep cleansing: Use your favorite mask! opt to make your own natural one with the ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. A simple mask for all skin types is Greek yogurt mixed with a bit of honey. The yogurt’s lactic acid acts as an exfoliate while the honey soothes any irritation.
- Moisturize: Apply a soothing and sealing thick moisturizer to your face, neck and decolletage.
Photo: Shanina Shaik from modernartandstyle.com