Wonderful news for trendonistas out there! It’s en vogue to leave your pretty face alone and go out bare faced come this spring. It’s wonderful to see this no-nonsense approach to makeup and hair on the New York runways this fashion week. Marc Jacobs went so far as to suggest no retouching of his model’s (already flawless) faces. Just a dab of moisturizer will do. If that’s a little too daring, go ahead and perfect the no-makeup look. Although minimal face-play is a welcome change to the heavier hand for everyday looks, special occasions and fun outings can benefit from a bevy of bolder trends that emerged.
- Emphasis on eyebrows: Eyebrows received special treatment this season. Rodarte decorated them with rows of faux eyebrow rings, while the folks over at Badgley Mischka opted to fill theirs with bright hues.
- Flashy eyeliner: Strong and thick eyeliner emerged, with a heavy emphasis on a filled-in cat-eye (sans flick). That doesn’t necessarily mean black eyeliner! A heaping number of bright neon colors adorned model’s eyelids, outer corners, inner corners, and lower lash-lines.
- Skin decorations: Stars, glitter, temporary tattoos. Face (and body) decorations got a grown-up look with a punky flair.
- Uptown chic: Stick to the bare necessities of makeup. I feel like this look is a fairly classic approach to makeup. This implies following the 5-minute regime: SPF, tinted moisturizer, tame eyebrows, curl lashes, swipe mascara and apply a pop of color on the lips. Done.
- Slick hair: Strands were given a slicked back treatment with plenty of mousse, gel, and hairspray. Perfect in the front; bit messy in the back. Sounds like another less pleasant hairstyle, but I promise this one bears a sleek, modern look.
- Low ponytails: This one slightly goes hand-in-hand with the slick hair. If you prefer not to bother with the extra steps and myriad of products, however, the low ponytail will still be perfectly on trend, tied up simply with a black hair-tie.
- Braids: And by braids, I mean braid. One long braid in the back is all it takes. You can get fancy with this, but it’s not necessary.
- Colored extensions: The most unnatural shade that can blend into your natural shade is ideal here. This doesn’t imply a full head of extensions. Just one or two clip in chunks will do for a hint of color underneath your natural locks.
[epa-album id=”11372″ show_title=”true” display=”full”]